Prahova Valley has always been a connecting road among the inhabitants of ancient Dacia and
later between the Romanian from both sides of the Carpathians. People who have found here
places appropriate for their and their livestock livelihood have inhabited the valley since early
An old document from 1815 mentions Caciula Mare, also called Intre Prahove Inn Prahova,
evoked by the Romanian historian V.A.Urechia ( in his work Drumul Brasovului –“ The Road of
Brasov) and Nicolae Iorga(in his work Scrisori de negustori- Merchants ‘ Letters).
According to statements, the inn was built between 1720-1725, several times burned down by
the Turks. This inn was located on the place where the Orthodox Church stands today. The
Caciula Mare inn was the first building built in this area, and first dwellings occurring only in the
first years of the eighteenth century.
As oral lore tells, The Intre Prahove Inn was built in the middle of the eighteenth century where
the General School stands today, at the foot of Clabucetul Taurului peak, in Azuga . The fact
that it was build where Azuga creek flows into Prahova River gave its name, as both rivers were
considered as belonging to Prahova.
It seems that the craftsmen that built the inn, had a model from Slonul de Piatră. The worked
hard, making here an equally large inn, at least in terms of number of rooms. The shed, the hay
storage and other facilities were arranged around the main building replacing the stone wall, so
that due its outside appearance, Intre Prahove Inn was different from the other inns in the
The first inhabitants of Prahova Valley area were cattle herders. The first inhabitant who settled
in the nowadays Azuga city was the shepherd George Zangor, who had about 500 sheep. He built
his first house around 1800. Zangor‘s house was a simple country house, not too big. It was built
on the right bank of the Azuga valley. Later on, Blebea house, which combines all Romanian
architecture features, was built next to Zangor‘s house.
The inns in Prahova, due to their size and architectural line, were at that time an important
urban architecture capital of Ploiesti and Campina town, while those from Breaza de Sus, Sinaia,
Buşteni, Azuga were a special attraction to travellers , as they were the only settlements on
Valea de Sus a Prahovei ( the upper part of Prahova valley).
Azuga was attested as village in the nineteenth century, and kept this status until the half of
the twentieth century. The city has been using this since 1881, name decided on the occasion of
railway station opening.
The village was part of Azuga Predeal rural commune, founded in 1884. The commune also included Predeal, Busteni and Poana Tapului hamlets . A year later, the Predeal Commune
Council was formed with the mayory in Predeal.
After the 1889 fire when the city hall was completely destroyed, the Commune Administration
temporarily shifted to Azuga ,in the building provided by the management of Cloth Factory.
By the request of Azuga locals and private entrepreneurs, Predeal mayory was moved in 1892
in Azuga by Royal Decree.
On April 21, 1889, the mayory shifted from Predeal to Azuga, in a building build on a land
provided by His Majesty King Carol I. The king was owner of the estate, and thus the land had
advantages both administrative terms and for the population as the mayory was at the centre.
Azuga left Predeal Commune after 1911 and before 1914, Azuga rural commune being formed
durin then same period.
The beginning of the industry in Azuga, a hamlet belonging to the Predeal village at that time,
dates back to 1830, due to the Glass factory establishment by Aslan, a man who had come
from Rucăr. The construction of the factory took two years. Alsan brought glassmakers from
Bohemia and build for them 30 wooden barracks to live in. He collected a lot of raw materials,
silica sand and clay for the melting pots provided by people from Rasnov (whom he paid with
Telega salt). He then started producing blown glass, coloured glass and window glass. Due to
unknown reasons, shortly after that, he closed the factory and abandoned all his investments,
which with no owner turned into ruins.
In 1879, the Glass Factory,owned by Mr. S. Grunfeld, was built. The factory was located in front
of the railway, between Prahovita and Azuga valleys. The factory had 250 workers, mostly from
Bohemia, and the products were very popular on Romanian markets.
In 1882, Matthew Mocanu founded the Cheese Factory. The factory produced cheese in May and
June and sweet cheese from St. Peter to St. Mary’s Festival. From then until the departure of
sheep to the mountains two specialities of milk were produced.
The Frenchman Leboeuf founded the Hydraulic Lime Factory in 1885 on Urechea Mountain, on
Blebea family property. Two years later, the company was took over by Taranget and Renard
company and by Renard & Co company in 1893. Lime was of good quality, achieving the silver
medal at the 1889 Universal Exhibition.
Engineer Erler’s cement plant was established in 1885 on the Sorica estate. In 1888, Eng. Erler
has set up a similar plant in Valea Seaca, and in 1892, he built in Piatra Arsa a white lime
furnace; all these modern facilities were in full operation and producing high quality white
The Cloth Factory, founded in 1887 by Rheim, Scheeser & Co company, was located on the place
where the water of Azuga creels bathes Sorica Mountain, on a beautiful plateau, shaded by thick
forest with tall trees. Charles Scheeser built a salami factory, in 1887 too, company which was
operating on regular bases with five special pieces of equipment, producing all kinds of salami,
smoked products and sausages.
The Sawmill on Malul Ursului (1888) founded by Schender, produced at that time 3000 cubic
meters of fir and spruce lumber for construction purposes. In order to make use of the forests
from Susaiului, Ritivoiu and Fata Găvanei Mountains, Charles and Samuel Schiel brothers set up a
timber and matches factory, at the foot of Susaiu from Ritivoiu , near Valley Azuga, managed by
Eng. C. Ganzert.
The Champagne Factory was established in1892 and the Firebrick factory in 1908. Another
company, the brewery, was built between 1898 -1900 by Grundt, Rădulescu & Co Company. The
businessman Peter Schesser persuaded master brewer Grundt (which at that time was producing
the best bear in Brasov) to come to Azuga and take part at a new brewery establishment.
In the nineteenth century, the place between the waters of Prahova and Azuga was a famous
stopover on the road over the mountains. The nowadays church dedicated to Holy Trinity was
built in 1092-1903, on the place where one of these inns used to be. In addition to gifts from
believers, the Royal House provided a significant support. The church is adorned with a number
of outstanding stained glass, made by a German craftsman, in 1902, at the request of King
Charles I and Queen Elizabeth, founders of the church.
In 1910, the Predeal village was part of Peles administrative territory . Part of the rural
commune Azuga belonged to the same administrative territory. . In the administrative
documents of the interwar period Azuga commune was marked as part of Sinaia administrative
Since its establishment to the present day, Azuga settlement territory was part of the Prahova
County. On August 14, 1938, the Law for the establishment of Lands passed, administrative
approach abandoned through Law no. 557 of 21 November 1940. Azuga commune was then part
of the Land of Bucegi.
Through Law no. 5 of 1950 the counties and special administrative territory was abolished and
the country organized into new territorial administrative units, regions. The regions were
organized in districts, cities and communes. The administrative reform implemented in early
1968 the country came back to the county-wise organization.